Sunday, May 2, 2010

AN E-BOOKLET FOR MOTHERS DAY




GOSSAMER WINGS


Could I leave this mess of dishes
and crumpled clothes?
Could I resist wiping spills and a runny nose?

Could I unworry myself
From preparing the proper food,

Could I, the mother of this wild and restless brood
change my earthbound creeping caterpillar self
and take my childhood dreams off the shelf,


and shed the cocoon and fly far away
over golden hills and silvery streams
melting my children’s magic into my dreams---
with these gossamer wings, who’s to say

where this flight of our imagination
will take us some day?


from THE FOUR SEASONS OF MOTHERHOOD
an 8 page e-boolet celebrating the four stages
of motherhood from infant to adult. Available to send
as an on linebooklet to elebrate mothers.


© Helen Webber, 2010

2 comments:

Grace said...

Hi Helen,

It's Grace. The illustration of Alice is so buoyant and hints at some Peter Max qualities. (Hope you think that's as much a compliment as I do. As lightweight as the image of Alice feels it's also dense with hidden surprises: various animals and whatnot. Not sure how wild I am these days, though I did dance in the streets not that long ago...at a pavillion around here with a band from New Orleans. Alice is on to something definitely and my best days are when I tap into that freedom of expresssion.

Helen Webber said...

Peter Max in the sixties was a trendsetter. There was a fresh audacious colorful feeling which was an innovative invention.. Very much a yellow submarine type. And then the sixties went away and he resurfaced as an abstract expressionist. It seems like a publicity endeavor: not heart felt.
Any way, I think Alice will evolve as a free spirit much influenced by the 60's and 70's but very much of our time. Eventually she will be a book.